SailNet Community - View Single Post - Iota Charger with AGM batteries
View Single Post
post #3 of Old 10-22-2009 Thread Starter
doubleeboy
Senior Moment

Bill,

Thank you for reply. I have taken approximately 175-200 amps off the battery over the course of a day by running lights, refrigerator,and small inverter running a fan. Without letting the batteries rest they measured 12.13 volts when I took loads off. Flipped the switch to energize charger and amp gauge on panel showed 30 amp charge, a couple hours later, 15-20 amp charge and when I came back next day 1 amp charge.

The three lights showing bulk, absorption, float all stay on all the time. As far as I can tell I do not have temp compensation sensor hooked up to batteries. These are the second pair of batteries the boat has had, they are 3 years DEKA batteries. Batteries, and all terminals are very clean, no corrosion. The local Mastervolt dealer came and took a look and said basically that by the time you take it out send it to Europe, pay them a few hundred to look at it and maybe fix it you could buy a new unit from someone more reasonably priced. He recommended a Xantrex but did mention the service from them left a lot to be desired, if ever needed.

Luckily I am getting the batteries charged up (I think) they show 13 and change volts when on float and after a few hours rest with charger off 12.6 or a bit more. I suspect at one time the previous owner may have had the optional monitor as there is a hole in woodwork about the size of a monitor with a plastic cover in it now. Maybe it went of the fritz and was removed and charger is not behaving because of this, just a guess. I am tempted to have the local outfit give it another look, to verify the temp sensor situation and see if I can continue on using the Mastervolt. It sure would be nice if Mastervolt gave a rip about their smaller chargers but that is not the case, compounded by the European service only and the value of dollar to Euro.

I am concerned that when drained to approximately 50-60% charge that batteries are only getting hit with 13+ volts not the 14.4 you would expect when in bulk or absorption.

Thank you for your reply and input
michael
Quote Share with Facebook

For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome