SailNet Community - View Single Post - Performance keel or standard Keel?
View Single Post
Old 10-23-2009

wakesurfboy is on a distinguished road
Most of comments and recommendation points to the performance package and standard keel over shoal reef keel.

Performance keel appear not to make a LOT of performance change and probably adds problems at resale and at south sea!

If the standard keel is a problem by using it for a while, I will make some modification to it, like cut it and put a lead bulb.

Adding performance blade, sandwich sails, new mast, etc will cost a LOT more than the performance package and putting a shorter keel with lead bulb appear feasible to me. I have one of my friend that reduce is iron keel diameter by cutting 1" around with a buffer and 2' on the bottom and he add a lead bulb made by himself! He use the NACA profile (NASA ancestor) to design is bulb.

So may be I can use is bulb mould to cast the lead and my standard iron keel is relatively thin so I just have to cut the actual iron bulb with some of the fin and put the lead bulb?

The shoal reef keel is dead for me and the performance keel appears to be more problematic for not much of speed enhancement?
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook