SailNet Community - View Single Post - Marine Wireless Internet Help Please...!
View Single Post
Old 10-23-2009
I'd rather be sailing

labatt will become famous soon enough
SD - I do understand the capabilities of the devices. I actually HAVE a DWL-G730AP for when I travel. It will NOT act as BOTH a wireless access point AND a wireless repeater at the SAME TIME with routing enabled. Therefore, you need to have two devices - one for internal access, and one for external wireless access. Yes, you can configure the D-Link as a router, but the upstream connection has to be wired. On my boat, right now, I use a Port Networks MWB-250 as my shoreside wireless connection, and a Kyocera KR-2 as my internal boat wireless router (I picked it since I can switch between the WiFi connection and our Verizon Aircard easily). Please point out a commercially available device, available today, for under $1,000 that 1) Will act as both a wireless repeater and an access point simultaneously, and route between, 2) Runs on 12v, 3) Combines the antenna and board into a single unit that doesn't require running antenna cable up a mast, and 4) Has a high power (1W-ish) high gain sensitive radio/antenna matched combo.
s/v "Pelican" Passport 40 #076- Finished Cruising - for the moment -
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
"Don't dream your life, live your dream" - Bob Bitchin'
"I'll see it when I believe it" - Me
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook