SailNet Community - View Single Post - Marine Wireless Internet Help Please...!
View Single Post
Old 10-23-2009

nuffoftexas is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by labatt View Post
SD - I do understand the capabilities of the devices. - Please point out a commercially available device, available today, for under $1,000 that 1) Will act as both a wireless repeater and an access point simultaneously, and route between, 2) Runs on 12v, 3) Combines the antenna and board into a single unit that doesn't require running antenna cable up a mast, and 4) Has a high power (1W-ish) high gain sensitive radio/antenna matched combo.
For decades now I've seen people beat their brains out trying all the little cheap "fixes" with home gear and software boxes. PITA and unreliable. Since you have $1000 to spend, I would look at business-class Cisco equipment. Most all equipt is 12V on the inside anyway. Just pop the case off and find the voltage regulator board and bypass that with your power. I'm not going to search for you, so go to suppliers like Insight, Tiger Direct, Network Liquidators, etc. You should be able to find a Cisco WAP/router/bridge all in one for less than any effort you're going to put in all these other patches. Maybe go to Cisco first, find your device, then check the suppliers. Good luck.