SailNet Community - View Single Post - Cal - Reputation of Quality
View Single Post
Old 10-23-2009

Waltthesalt is on a distinguished road
I've had a '74 Cal 29 for about 20 years. It was built by Jensen Marine and represents mid-grade qualtiy for the era. Most Cals were built to be a good solid club racer/cruiser. I've done a lot og upgrading find it's stick interior easy to work on. A fellow named D'Arcy took one to Tahiti and has a web page devoted to it you can google. As was typical of all 70s era boats Cals can have osmotic bilstering. It helps if you can find a boat that's been pealed and exoxied. But you will find this risk with about all boats in that categroy. Cal 29s can also have a issue with corrosion of the mast step girder. There's photos on this web site showing someone who cut it out and replaced it.... a reely big job. You can see if you have a problem by looking at the tabs that hold the bulkhead to which the mast is stepped. But I reals don't know anyone else who's gone in and done that job and there's a lot of Cal 29s around. All boats have thier soft spot. Of the boats you're takling about it probably means more about how they were maintainde than anything.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook