SailNet Community - View Single Post - Cal 25
Thread: Cal 25
View Single Post
Old 10-23-2009
Just another Moderator

Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about
Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulinVictoria View Post
So... I'm still in the hunt for a nice little starter boat. I've seen this Cal25 advertised, sensible price but not too sure on their "good condition" in the advert. Looks like it needs a fair amount of TLC to me.
Anyone got any opinions on it?
25' CAL 25 SAILBOAT IN GOOD CONDITION Malahat (including Shawnigan Lake & Mill Bay), Victoria
A friend bought a similar model about 10 years ago in the Victoria area for similar money - it looked better than that one. However they are not great pictures and much of the streaking may well be cosmetic and simply require some elbow grease.

The other thing that caught my eye was an apparent modification to the deck just forward and starboard of the companionway hatch. Can't quite make out what it is - could be something simply sitting there, or someone created a "bump" for some reason. Might want to look closely at that if that's the case.

These are pretty solid boats as a rule, many prone to significant blistering so watch for that. If it's been on Shawnigan lake that might be good news. No trailer mentioned so be sure to find out where they'd "put it in the water for you".

It won't race to weather in a hurry, but as a starter, forgiving sort of cruiser you could do worse, and the investment is rather minimal. Chances are, though, that it WILL be a starter and if things go well you'll be looking for more soon enough.

At present, it "looks" rough enough that a lowish offer may be justified.

1984 Fast/Nicholson 345 "FastForward"

".. there is much you could do at sea with common sense.. and very little you could do without it.."
Capt G E Ericson (from "The Cruel Sea" by Nicholas Monsarrat)
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook