SailNet Community - View Single Post - Performance keel or standard Keel?
View Single Post
Old 10-23-2009

blt2ski will become famous soon enough
There is a fellow up in canada, that races and cruises his 39iP. He has doen the Ontario 300 two yrs running, along with taking it down the east coast with his family for a year......deep keel and all, with NO issues with the 7+' draft. Then again, maybe being in Puget sound where my depth gauge does not work half the time, ie its over 600' where I am at most of the time, so for me, this needs to be under 5' much less 4' as some say is bogus.

I guess the question would be, where are you sailing out of? and where do you want to take your boat? If you are here in puget sound, having a shoal draft for most, whether you race or not is useless, and you will probably take a hit in the overall price. as most want a deeper keel so you can point better. as here, you're either going upwind, or down. Rarely can you say you will reach for any length of time etc.

I do feel the std draft P pkg is the best way, at least you get a bit more SA, altho one fellow on the jeanneau forum says his roached main with std pkg is bigger than the main for the P pkg. But of course that begs to ask, how much bigger would a P pkg roached main be? Like all things great and small.........I would still go with the keep keel and P pkg, along with no stinking DS model either. But now we are talking personal tastes, how I use my boat, 80% racing etc. Even if I cruised it locally, not sure I would get a DS. but would still get the P pkg! Too light of winds not to have it in the summer.

marty