SailNet Community - View Single Post - Running Rigging
Thread: Running Rigging
View Single Post
Old 10-24-2009
Just another Moderator

Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about
I sympathize with your desires... not a fan of mid-boom out-of-cockpit mainsheets myself.

This is a fairly major job - complicated by the rather wide cockpit IIRC on your boat. If the floor is wide enough for a decent traveler than that might be one way to go. More common is for the traveler to bridge the gap between the cockpit seats. You'd have to stiffen the traveler between the seats, but the bigger thing here is whether there's an appropriate non-opening area of the seats to bolt the traveller through.

I did some snooping, here's a pic of one that already has what you want:

View Boat Photos - YachtWorld.com (it's picture #7)

Sorry about the link, I wasn't able to copy the image. So from this picture is looks like you have some fixed seat area behind the stbd cockpit locker opening that would be appropriate to what you want. The other side has no locker, right?

Whether or not you can reuse your existing traveler will depend on its curvature, if any, and its length. It would also be a good idea to back up the bolts with a fairly heavy backing plate where you can.

Good luck.

1984 Fast/Nicholson 345 "FastForward"

".. there is much you could do at sea with common sense.. and very little you could do without it.."
Capt G E Ericson (from "The Cruel Sea" by Nicholas Monsarrat)

Last edited by Faster; 10-24-2009 at 12:10 AM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook