SailNet Community - View Single Post - Bristol 30 - Shaft spins, but no propulsion!?
View Single Post
Old 10-24-2009
Tartan 27' owner

CalebD will become famous soon enough
Ask around at your marina/club for the name of a diver who will clean the prop for you if you are not ready to jump into < 60F water. Have them clean the prop as it does not take that much barnacle or marine growth to turn your prop into a chicken leg spinning in the water.
How do I know this? I have been in the chilly Hudson River more then once in Oct/Nov in a 3 mil wetsuit battling those barnacles and have always been surprised how little growth can slow you down immensely, how bad the visibility can be down there and how dangerous it can be to do when there are any waves. Barnacle scratches on skin can be nasty whether it is your head or your hand, arm or shoulder.
You don't want your 'haul out day' to come and then have to paddle into the Travel lift or crane. A skilled person in a small motor boat can tow/barge you in but it is all a bit deflating to have someone else help you to get your own boat out of the water.
Trust me on this: you will have much more confidence in your boat and engine and you will also remember that the prop needs to be cleaned a few times when the water is warm enough to do so easily.

Everybody has one:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook