SailNet Community - View Single Post - Living on a mooring
View Single Post
Old 10-24-2009
cruising all I can

joethecobbler is on a distinguished road
Filling a bladder tank in the dinghy to transfer to your onboard tank is easy. You fillit the same way you fill the jerry cans (usually from a water spigot or hose). The advantage is, the bladder tank rolls up small when empty. And can carry quite alot of water when full. It also will/can lie in the bottom of the dinghy easier than the jerry can balancing act (sliding around etc.
Getting the same type of pump as you already have aboard is a good idea, however your pressure water system pump probably is prety costly and not durable enough to be kncked about in a dinghy and possibly inclimate weather conditions.
Harbor freight sells a 12 volt stainless pump body model for about $30 with standard hose fittings it can be attached easily to the bladder tank.
I guess if you didn't have a bladder tank you could still fill the jerry cans then pump into the main tank, untill you convinced yourself that this method is worthy . Then I would guess you would tire of lugging the cans and just get the bladder tank.
ALso to the sailor asking about mooring locations. why not just anchor ? it's free ! and you never have to wonder what your actually tied to when the weather kicks up, as you will have lowered the ground tackle yourself.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook