SailNet Community - View Single Post - Performance keel or standard Keel?
View Single Post
Old 10-24-2009

wakesurfboy is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by blt2ski View Post
I guess the question would be, where are you sailing out of? and where do you want to take your boat? as most want a deeper keel so you can point better.
Well, Champlain lake for a while (2-3 years) move it to south (Florida) and play around there. So for Florida and Bahamas, every body will choose Shoal reef keel but I'm ready to sacrifice bay mooring for marinas to get better performance. So I don't think the performance keel is LOT better then the standard keel. Both are same design and both made of steel. The shoal reef keel is the one with much less performance. I choose the standard keel because I will upgrade it in future for a shorter one with lead bulb and this keel will be better and shorter than performance keel I think.

Quote:
Originally Posted by blt2ski View Post
I do feel the std draft P pkg is the best way, at least you get a bit more SA, altho one fellow on the jeanneau forum says his roached main with std pkg is bigger than the main for the P pkg. But of course that begs to ask, how much bigger would a P pkg roached main be? Like all things great and small.........I would still go with the keep keel and P pkg, along with no stinking DS model either. But now we are talking personal tastes, how I use my boat, 80% racing etc. Even if I cruised it locally, not sure I would get a DS. but would still get the P pkg!
The DS model is a MUST for me because I want to use the boat as a condo so comfort is more important than racing.

The performance package include 20% bigger sails (main 420 sqft vs 357 sqft, genoa 409 sqft vs 368 sqft) but alos, sandwich construction main sail with high performance SELDEN mast, feathering blade etc.., No question performance package make the boat lot better than standard configuration.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook