SailNet Community - View Single Post - Autopilots on PSCs
View Single Post
Old 10-24-2009

DGriffith is on a distinguished road
On our 37 we installed a gen set in the space just below the wheel. Psc installed the ram for the auto pilot on the bulkhead just behind the water heater starboard side. Because I filled that space with the Panda I needed another option. I called Don Kohlmann at the old factory and he went out to a 37 being built and gave me some critical measurments. Since I cut the bulkhead between the engine room and the starboard deep locker and made it removeable to access the quadrant and Gen set, there was my option. I had a 1/2 " L shaped SS bracket 6"x6" that I thru bolted to the back bulkhead in the before mentioned locker with a 6x6 backing plate of 1/2" ss. Cut a hole in the removable door to the engine room and have the ram moving port to starboard instead of bow to stearn. I bought a stick shift boot from the auto parts store and fit it to the ram and the door to dress it up and provide a noise and water seal. When you use the long shaft raymarine ram you limit the rudder movement to 70 degrees port to starboard that matches their rudder angle gauge. I bought some dolly wheels to slip over the rudder stops to make up for the difference. I have adapted to the loss of 20 degrees
steering. It was easy to run the wires to the Smart pilot brain mounted midships behind the dinette just above and to the right of the battery box. Also easy to access to change fuses if need be. I put the flux gate in the head on the oak mast support facing forward close to the coach roof. That was in 2003 and I have never had a failure. Raymarine builds a stout system that includes a gyro compass that steadys the course in waves. Two thumbs up for this auto pilot. I even have a wireless remote that works anywhere on the boat. Best money I have spent to date. I will down load pics if anyone wishes to see. Doug Griffith PSC37 #249 Kindred Spirit.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook