SailNet Community - View Single Post - New here and Hi!
View Single Post
Old 10-24-2009
Two many boats!

degreeoff is on a distinguished road
Cool New here and Hi!

Howdy ya'll,

Well a brief history. Dad was a sword boat capt. out of Glouster MA, he died when I was 7. I am now 37 and I have caught his bug after 26 years. I have really CAUGHT it!

My Boat history....

-16yrs windsurfing/ sunfish
-29yrs Built a small boat with 2 25cc gas RC boat engines (3.5hp @ 14k rpm) driving 2 mini jet drives from Germany...all run by wire (rc servos etc) fun but a waste of time and money.
-31yrs bought a 2002 Caribe 10' RIB with a 8hp honda ($700 bucks needed TLC) Sold to buy a 18' jon boat with a 25/20 OB jet for fishing Potomac
THEN it happened......a barn find 19' somthing or other with no engine ($700) and a trailer.
-32yrs while looking for a engine for the above I ran across a 25' 1978 Siedelman with a 8 hp long shaft for $650 for the engine or $700 for the boat....well so it began........Total refit and then.....
-34yrs a 1980 Catalina 27 from the original owner w/ Atomic 4 for $900 (autohelm, full sail set, speed furler etc) Well I refit this one too and then.....
-37yrs 1985 Catalina 30 TALL rig with all the bells and whistles (you know little things like walking room below, a FULL head and CNG oven/cooktop and wheel steering w/ autohelm!) but in a state of neglect for $1000....it now sits in my side yard being torn down to bare hull for a GOOD once over, very little rot (1 bulkhead) and NO soft spots on deck. 1400 hour Universal M-25 that'll need????? I will be starting a thread on this shortly. I will be needing your help on numerous stages I am sure.

I have PROMISED the better 1/2 that this would be the last boat for at least 3 years.....else she'll leave me I know it!

Josh
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook