SailNet Community - View Single Post - Autopilots on PSCs
View Single Post
Old 10-25-2009

MC1 is on a distinguished road
. . . Finally was able to take a picture showing an installed below-decks auto-pilot on a PSC34. I used steel braces (from Lowes, hand cut to needed length, isolated from the aluminum mounting bracket and also the linear drive with "custom cut" plastic from a milk carton, painted for rust-proofing) to mount the linear drive to the bracket to get the correct positioning (existing bracket didn't extend far enough to center and was mounted too low) . . . there was probably a better way, but this worked and is very strong. I used an L-shaped (for strength) piece of aluminum (also from Lowes) running port-starboard to mount the rudder position sensor. If you do this, be careful the starboard cockpit scupper seacock handle is able to move fully from open to closed position. The linear drive needs to connect to the tiller arm toward the middle of the arm so it doesn't interfere with the port cockpit scupper drain hose, but stay outboard as far as possible otherwise. I'm sure this can be much improved upon, but it's one workable approach.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg PSC34 Post-AP Install2.JPG (36.3 KB, 214 views)
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook