SailNet Community - View Single Post - Outboard propeller guard- Ideas are welcome
View Single Post
Old 10-26-2009

pedcab is on a distinguished road
Outboard propeller guard- Ideas are welcome

Hi everyone

Since Fulô is ashore for the mid season maintenance I think it is time to once and for all solve an issue that has been scaring me.

As on many trimarans, Fulô's transom is just to small to fit an outboard on the traditional bracket mount and as such my engine rides sideways, attached to the port side of the main hull.

This configuration, as you can imagine, represents a very real propeller injury threat to anyone who falls overboard in the space between the main hull and the portside float while the boat's moving ahead.

To reduce the danger of serious injury to any crew that sails with me or to my mate Neil (the dog) I thought of fitting a propeller guard.

Following this I've been searching for ideias on the net and I'm inclined to fit a ducted propeller guard instead of the most commonly found cage like protection, thus certainly improving in safety and also expecting some added performance from the engine due to the ducted fan principle.

Does anyone have any thoughts or experience arround this subject?

Many thanks in advance

Pedro

Portugal

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook