SailNet Community - View Single Post - Very curious about expenses
View Single Post
Old 01-12-2006

merc2dogs is on a distinguished road
Very curious about expenses

I know that the subject has been discussed death before, But I am VERY curious as to what expenses people include when figuring the cost of living aboard, I''ve read everything from $500 a month which sounds like a logical $6000 annual, to around $60000+ which comes in at an unbelievable $5000 a month, most seem to be in the range of $2500 a month. What all are people figuring in (boat/house/car payments/insurance?) Do they include luxuries (satelite radio/tv/internet)? or just basic needs including food, water, fees, maintenance, insurance etc? I know people vary greatly, and what one considers a luxury, is a neccessity to the next, but I can''t qualify that great a difference.

My intention is to move to either the east coast or the gulf shortly, (soon as the boat''s finished, and the water''s clear) and live on the boat for a while and I''m trying to get a grip on possible expenses.

My boat is 28.5ft, paid for, insurance runs at $600 annual,(agreed replacement $10k) I don''t watch TV, and don''t have expensive tastes, so live pretty cheaply anyway, but living on the hard, I manage to do so on roughly 15k annual, (car insurance, rent, fuel, phone, utils, food etc)

Ken.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook