SailNet Community banner
  • SailNet is a forum community dedicated to Sailing enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about sailing, modifications, classifieds, troubleshooting, repairs, reviews, maintenance, and more!

Leaf Stains

9K views 9 replies 8 participants last post by  Liquorice 
#1 ·
I pulled my boat and it has been in my driveway, not covered up for the last week while I get it ready for winter. Duringthis time some leaves have fallen on the topside and left some stains. What will take these off? I was able to get some of it off with a rag and water and will try the pressure washer but is there a product that will get rid of them completley?

Thanks

#6 ·
A very good product for this is Star-brite Nonskid Deck Cleaner.It comes with a flip-up spout,cause they want you to use entire bottle! Put in an empty sprayer,brush off anything loose, then spray on a few times,leaving wet then scrub with white Scotch-brite. Works every time.

#8 · (Edited)
If dead leaves have stained you boat, it means that your gelcoat is now porous (for lack of wax, etc.) and the tannins from the leaves has entered the porosity of the gelcoat.
Best remedy to remove tannin staining (on deck, etc. as well as the tannin waterline 'mustache') is to use any cleaner with Oxalic Acid. Will INSTANTLY remove the stains. Oxalic is found in many cleaners or cleansers (dont rub a cleanser on gelcoat - just apply and let soak) - BarKeepersFriend, Zud, etc. etc. Oxalic Acid (in crystal form) is sold in most paint & hardware stores as "wood bleach", etc.

#10 ·
Last spring I used Tilex bathroom cleaner for the first time.
I didn't have leaf stains but I did have those annoying little black mold spots.
$6 and the best looking deck I've ever achieved.
Probably not as environmentally friendly as some cleaners (...has bleach in it) but works beautifully!
sam :)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.