SailNet Community - View Single Post - wood shop on board
View Single Post
Old 10-27-2009
Super Fuzzy Moderator

tdw is a jewel in the rough tdw is a jewel in the rough tdw is a jewel in the rough
Quote:
Originally Posted by xort View Post
Sorry I don't remember where; but I saw a kit that had a cordless circular saw, jig saw and drill that could be adapted to a table saw, scroll saw and drill press by using the case it all packed in. I doubt it would be super accurate but better than nothing.
I carry a drill and sabre saw, dremel tool and a lot of hand tools. Doubt I'll pack a router or circular saw.

A board with a bench vise will get fitted to work in the cockpit
Latest issue of Practical Sailor has a write up on something similar. Don't have it with me so I can't tell you the brand but they seemed to think fairly highly of the gear, given that we are not talking professional quality gear.

Many of the early cruisers (the Hiscocks are a good example) did not use the forepeak as sleeping quarters but used that area as both workshop and darkroom.

These days we demand bloody great huge bedrooms, using the saloon berths as both bunk and settee is not something we'll accept. Out goes the workshop.

"Do you think God gets stoned? I think so... Look at the platypus." Robin Williams.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook