SailNet Community - View Single Post - Best Trailerable 22-24' Boat?
View Single Post
Old 10-28-2009

Capt.Fred is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobmcgov View Post
It's a little smaller than your range and VERY hard to find, but... if BEST small fixed-keel sailboat for PNW is the brief, I'd look for a Wilderness 21. It's a freak. Has crossed oceans. Only 1870 lbs, so one person could launch it -- but it's like a mini Contessa 32. Despite a 57% ballast ratio, it's fast (PHRF 219) as a San Juan 24. Which would be a good second choice.
As I've said before and I repeat. A real blue water sailor can sail almost anything across an ocean. A real sailor and I must add a very beautiful young women, sailed her Wildernes 21 "Lil Rascal" across the Atlantic around 1980 and survived due to her graceful tenatious love of what she was doing. I remember Amy Boyer when she was over due on a race to the Farralon Islands and the next morning we found her still sailing her Wilderness 21 freezing and partially swamped outside the Golden Gate determined to at least finish on her own.
And now gentle readers, my $.02 suggestion for a trailable boat with potential for modifications for ocean sailing is a Rob Roy 23. Not only does she have the potential to sail well, but she is real pretty. That alone makes her not only a pleasure to look at, but pleasure to have her perform.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook