SailNet Community - View Single Post - Advice on this Cat 30
View Single Post
Old 10-28-2009
Tartan 27' owner

CalebD will become famous soon enough
Shooting from the hip I would suggest adding a solar charging panel for the batteries and upgrading to a stove/oven unit fueled by propane, which would mean adding a propane canister locker, new stove, gas lines and solenoid switch. These are for creature comforts while living aboard.
No holding tank on the boat? That is usually a requirement in NDZ (no-discharge zones in the US). Over 3 miles out it goes overboard.
Everything mitiempo suggested: raise bridge deck, backing plates, tabbing to hull cabinet work.
The 12 HP engine seems a little under powered for when you might really need it. Perhaps a stronger pitched prop can give you better propulsion if your engine can handle it.
Safety stuff like: jack lines and harnesses, SAT phone or SSB, life raft, radar, chart plotter & redundant GPS, even a drogue would be really nice to have. With the right set up you should be able to get weather info through the Satellite phone or SSB. Life raft is a CG requirement for open ocean. Radar is great when it is horrible out or foggy. Chart plotter is just icing on the cake but redundant GPS is good to have. Medical supplies.
The Catalina 30 is not badly designed but is not really built for offshore use, as posted by mitiempo. I like the C30 and wish you well.
My $.02.

Everybody has one:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook