SailNet Community - View Single Post - Looking for a Boat Inspector....
View Single Post
Old 10-29-2009
Learning the HARD way...

eherlihy will become famous soon enough
Wanna' buy a problem?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shipislandpirate View Post
Coach roof brow trim..section damaged during haul out... Also, notice a crack in the coach roof approx 16 inches long kinda wanders with no definite start or stopping point..and the top to the v-berth door is warped or misaligned 1/2 inch or more...
These things together lead me to suspect that the boat has had an accident of some kind. I doubt that the hull is true to it's original form.

To check, stand about 20-40 feet directly in front of the centerline of the boat. Look carefully at the hull profile. Is it symmetrical? Now, move 10 feet left, and look carefully, now move 20 feet right (10 feet to right of CL) and look again, do the two profiles seem to mirror each other? Now repeat the whole exercise from the rear. I would also check very carefully in the bilge, in the saloon storage areas (under setees), and the bilge, to look for bent/cracked or repaired stringers. Also look for non factory glass work in the bilge.

If my suspicion is correct, it is unlikely that the boat will track straight (think of a car with a bent frame).

- Ed

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

USCG Licensed OUPV Captain, ASA 101/103/104/105 Certified Instructor - Also certified in Recreational Marine Electrical Systems

Last edited by eherlihy; 10-29-2009 at 08:27 AM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook