SailNet Community - View Single Post - how to install head?
View Single Post
Old 01-18-2006

razorseal is on a distinguished road
how to install head?

my new boat (''73 Newport 27s) that I just got supposedly has a 12 gallon holding tank (which I cant seem to find lol) and a porta potty in an enclosed head area... I noticed alot of people install heads to these... my question is, what is involved to install a hand pump marine toilet? is it ALOT of work? I guess I would need to run a water hose from the water tank to the toilet by drilling my way through (eek, sounds scary) and then where would I install the holding tank? and how do I dump out the holding tank? I believe there are ''pump out stations'' that I go to... how does that work? they have a big long hose that they plug into ur holding tank and it sucks it dry or something? what about all the stuff that is ''more dry'' (ya know what I mean lol) how do they take that out? is it some system that keeps a flow of water running while pumping out the stuff or something? I have also heard people dumping out the holding tank in the ocean offshore.... how do they do this?

sorry for the tons of questions, but I want to replace that nasty porta potty with a normal head! thanks!
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook