SailNet Community - View Single Post - Northern Lake Huron - south of Manitoulin
View Single Post
Old 10-29-2009

flyingwelshman will become famous soon enough
Northern Lake Huron - south of Manitoulin

Last year I circumnavigated the top two-thirds of Georgian Bay. I started in Midland, went up the east side to the Bustards; over to Killarney; down to Tobermory; across to Hope Island; and back to Midland.

My goal for next year is to do the southern portion of Georgian Bay (Collingwood, Meaford, Thornbury over to Colpoy's Bay) then up the East side of the Bruce and over to Tobermory. I am pretty confident in this part of the trip as I have already done the Midland to Wasaga Beach run, and the Cabot Head to Tobermory stretch.

From Tobermory I was thinking of heading across to South Bay then heading west, south of Manitoulin, to the Mississagi Straight; up into the North Channel; East to Killarney; then clockwise around the top of Georgian bay and back down to Midland.

I figure about 3 to 4 weeks for the trip.

My questions are: has anyone sailed along the south side of Manitoulin? How are the anchorages? What are the weather conditions generally like in June - July?

I hear the North Channel and Northern Lake Huron forecasts regularly, and they seem like they can be somewhat extreme. I imagine that the weather is a bit tamer in the lee of the island.

I have heard that the best part of the North Channel is East of Gore Bay. Does anyone have any opinion on this?

I imagine that due to the length of the trip I will be single-handing much of the way. Is this realistic given that it will be my 4th season of sailing? I just began single-handing this summer. I am pretty confident (some say 'over-confident') in my sailing abilities. I have taken the CPS boating and piloting courses and am very comfortable with navigation.

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Thanks

The sea, once it casts its spell, holds one in its net of wonder forever. - Jacques Yves Cousteau
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook