SailNet Community - View Single Post - Northern Lake Huron - south of Manitoulin
View Single Post
Old 10-29-2009

flyingwelshman will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by xort View Post
Club Island is south of Manatoulin by about 2 or 3 miles and about half way across the south side of Manatoulin and has a good protected harbor. Good anchorage.
Rattlesnake island is also reported to have a good anchorage but a bit shallow. It is much closer to Tobermory.
Haywood island is near the east end of Manatoulin and has excellent anchorages.

All 3 are uninhabited.

I don't think there's much on the actual south side of Manatoulin.
Thanks xort - you are certainly not a dick!

We stayed at Club Island last year. It was very nice and sheltered (we had to stay an extra day before we headed south to Toby due to the weather).

I had put Rattlesnake into my chartplotter as an optional anchorage last year. I have heard that it is good.

I will keep Heywood in mind for next year. I have heard that Baie Fine is also a must-see.

I haven't heard anything about the south side of Manitoulin. I've looked in an older Richardsons and it looks like there might be some places to anchor between South Bay and Mississagi. I guess most people either enter the East Channel at Little Current in the East after coming up from Toby, or by going across from the Straights of Mackinac and through False Detour Channel. There doesn't seem to be a lot of info about the area in between.

I'm a little concerned about the water conditions and the weather.

Dave

The sea, once it casts its spell, holds one in its net of wonder forever. - Jacques Yves Cousteau
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook