SailNet Community - View Single Post - Advice on this Cat 30
View Single Post
Old 10-29-2009

GeorgeB is on a distinguished road
Is this a SF Bay based C30? Do you have a name? (perhaps I know this boat). For a detailed assessment, you really need to go to the C30 owner’s association website. The early vintage C30s had tiller steering (pedestal being an owner modification) and atomic 4 engines (12 HP diesel doesn’t sound “stock” to me.) Early versions also had an encapsulated wood compression post step at the keel that was prone to water intrusion. Catalina came out with a fix and at some point in the early 80’s they went to an all glass type of layup. If you can get the boat’s HIN number, Catalina can send you a copy of their (extensive) warranty record for the boat (very handy). I’m a little surprised that it isn’t coming with a full suit of sails being a racer and that it doesn’t have a pole and mast track but has secondary winches. Condition is more important than features on a boat of this age and you want to get a good survey before you take the plunge. Given no condition issues, $14k is a little on the light side which I attribute to it’s having a tall rig (not very desirable here on the Bay). I wouldn’t buy another tall rig boat for the Bay or Coastal Northern California. It is way too overpowered for single or double handing. She was probably raced on the Bay with a crew of six to eight which is a lot of weight on the rail.

With our famous fog in the summer, robust coastal conditions and safe harbors few and far between, radar might not be a necessity, but is sure nice to have. I wouldn’t go down the coast without a chart plotter. AIS is nice to have but only really pays for itself near SF and down in the Catalina Channel. For the three hundred miles in between, radar is the only thing that is going to pick up targets other than your own Mk1 eyeball.

International Catalina 30 Association
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook