SailNet Community - View Single Post - Your perfect boat?
View Single Post
Old 10-29-2009

jbarros is on a distinguished road
Your perfect boat?

I saw a thread a while ago where Jeff_H was asked about his perfect boat. While I found it informative, I feel keeping those conversations to people who actually know what they're talking about is really opposed to what the Internet is all about, so with that in mind, I think we should all pitch in with our perfect boats. Bonus points for idiosyncrasies that make no sense whatsoever.

I'll get the ball rolling:
(note once again: I don't know anything, and if you do anything based on anything I say you're dumber than me. )

My perfect boat comes in at about 30 feet LOA. She's a very small live-aboard for 1, daysailer for 4 type of boat for coastal work and occasional offshore passages. (of 2 or 3 people max)

Below decks her layout is similar to a catalina 270, if a bit narrower, with a hot water shower midship, 2 burner stove, small oven, and ice box under the counter. (not sure how the icebox being near the stove is going to work out, may need to work on that.)

Motor will be an outboard only, because engines intimidate the hell out of me. How will I get that hot water shower working you ask? Good question. Perhaps using a water heater that runs off of whatever the stove runs off of (propane?)

The cockpit will be small, and somewhat protected. Steering will be tiller, and it'll be laid out so if anything goes wonky I can follow the steering all the way to the rudder (does this mean it's hung off the back? Is that going to work well at all? )

The main will be full batten, as much roach as I can get without running backstays, (I know, not much) with ample reefing ability ( at least 3 reef points, jiffy reefing, led aft with the rest of the lines) mainly because I can't work up the nerve to get, maintain and sail a gaff rigged boat. No fancy roller reefing on the main. If anything, a set of lazy jacks for taking her down, but that's about it. The foresail will be roller-reefing, and the asymmetrical spinnaker will be kept in a sock, for easy deployment and recovery.

The bowsprit will be wood with a brass cap. Even if its only a 2 foot stub, even if it will just be a place to ride as the boat is plowing through the water, it's really a must have, just like the perfect home really needs a wood burning fireplace or stove. My first love (The 92' topsail ketch Argus) and my last (my 19' sloop Josie, which had a wonderful little 2' bowsprit) both had one, and damn it, my next boat will have one too.

While I'm at it, I know I cant pull off a crows nest, but perhaps a ratline or two on the shrouds to allow for some better visibility, and just the sense of climbing up the lines (makes a great place to dive from too. )

the hull will be cored with something other than wood, one of those neat high tech materials that isn't AS susceptible to rot, and the mast will be sealed, with the lines run up the outside, just another little bit to help it self-right were I to do something stupid like put her in the drink.

I'm not entirely sure what the underbody would look like, hopefully something somewhat modern, with decent tracking, but still something which might be able to take a gentle grounding, without killing me. If it's something that shed kelp as well, that would be awesome. I need to do some more armchair research here before coming up with my ultimate correct only-ever right answer for this.

Beyond that, toss some solar cells on the back, and possibly even davets for a small wooden dinghy (oar powered)

I think that about sums up my ideal boat. I think it has just the right amount of mutually exclusive features and impracticality, combined with constrasting goals and aesthetics.

What's yours?

Thanks.

-- James

(Who is obviously spending too much time waiting for code to compile and not enough sailing. )
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook