SailNet Community - View Single Post - How long does it take to motor from Des Moines to Lake Washington?
View Single Post
Old 10-29-2009

blt2ski will become famous soon enough
You will have two hrs to go from the entry to the locks at best, maybe 3 hrs with a smaller boat like yours to get thru montlake cut. Then Lk Wa is about 24 miles long, so depending upon where you are heading from the 520 bridge, add that to your time. I would swag 2-4 hrs from Des Moines to shilshoal and the entrance to the locks. Again, depending upon tide with or against you, wind direction etc. A heavy south wind, you may be beter to sail north, then obviously, I hope motor thru the locks to the lake. Then from there, north or south, wind depending, motor or sail to moorage. Figure an hour in a smaller boat to I90 from 520, Kirkland about the same, add another hour to Kenmore north of kirklandor renton to the south of I90.

Also, not sure where you live, but if you can go by the locks, they have a really nice pamphlet with info on what to expect, have with you etc when going thru, it may also be online some how too. 48 north had a good article a few yrs back. not sure if it is online in there archives or not too.

Marty

Last edited by blt2ski; 10-29-2009 at 08:42 PM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook