SailNet Community banner
  • SailNet is a forum community dedicated to Sailing enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about sailing, modifications, classifieds, troubleshooting, repairs, reviews, maintenance, and more!

Water pump Honda 100

2K views 8 replies 6 participants last post by  smillinjack 
#1 ·
I bought an old Honda 100 sailpower long shaft It runs good. It has two small holes mid shaft that some water comes out of when it's running that indicates that the water pump is working. I'm not sure how much water should come out at idle, What I get is a mist, not a steam of water . anybody know what it should be. SEE YA.:D

#2 ·
Honda BF8 / 10 whatever

Should pee LOTS !! The manifold gets gummed up. Thermostat lives there. Thermo. Likely needs to be replaced. 58 buck part.
Not easy but do-able: heres how: Take the mainfold cover off. You may need to heat the bolts (torch) to disolve if it has never been off. You will need to sheild the belt from the torch. I used a paint scraper in front of the belt. DO NOT PRY /DO NOT scratch the gasket edge of the manifold metal.
USE a wooded pry ....this way that way ,this way that way ...SLOWLY...do not crack the aluminum.
Took me 8 hrs to get mainfold off my 8hp. Got new gaskets /new thermostat. Replaced em. Cleaned the manifold housing with toothbrush. Get out all the salt. Put gaskets back on replace thermostat. Then flush that puppy EVERYTIME w fresh water.
Use a HONDA hose attachment ( call honda...$40 bucks) or bucket of water or earmuffs.
good luck....nice engines

#3 ·
Adaptable23,

I have a Honda 8 and although cooling water stream isn't reduced to a mist, it is considerably diminished from when it was new. I was going to replace the water pump impeller this winter, but your description indicates that I might be taking apart the wrong end. Any thoughts on that?

#4 ·
wrong end

Adaptable23,
you said:
OK... I am NOT a mechanic... I am what the tugboat guys call a weekend warrior...but
In my experience with Honda /evinrude /yamaha/ it has Never been the impeller. It is good to have impeller replaced but is down in the leg. Thats where the gear lube and water are separated by gaskets. oil and water hmmm. If your gear oil is milky ....you got water in it. gasket didnt work...type o thing...:cool:

I would start by putting a little wire in the pee hole( first take off the rubber tube and blow it out) very delicately do the wire probe. Dont scratch anything... You are looking for salt gunk in there. Go to th library. Get the Honda outboard manual. sign it out for a week. ask the honda guy to give you a blow-up diagram of :
1. the thermostat /manifold housing
2. the impeller housing
3. Price the paper manifold gaskets (2) and get the part numers for manifold gaskets ie : the metal one you can clean with a scraper and reuse(dont scratch it) paper ones you need 2. Price the thermostat. You can always soak in vinegar, but if you go to all that work....spend $58 on new themostat and a few more bucks on gaskets. Then when you know how...just replace gaskets evey 3 yrs. If you flush EVEY time -ten years...There are 8 nuts to take off. You have to take off a lot of linkage. Put them away in seperate plastic sandwich baggies and label. Put em all together somewhere safe.

My guess. Thats what it is.
Have fun .. Listen. I did this on a peice of junk engine that I never did fix about 10 years ago. I felt like a complete failure. I have worked on many outboards but that one got me. ...I did it again with this NICE honda this year and I had such a celebration because I had not failed...it just took me 10 years to use my knowledge on a honda that wasnt a dog.
Besides.. LEARN man ..It is just a machine... If you REALLY need it to work....take it to a mechanic...this a no-brainer for them... but then ya never learn ...If you have time..take the journey..good luck!! Dont take it too serious...

#7 ·
thanks for the info. I cleaned the cooling system by running it in a barrel with a QT of dish washing soap in it. That improved the flow a good bit. I ran the engine for 20 min. and was able to put my hand on the head and it was not very hot. Now I have to work on the charging system ( connect a fore way bridge ) and get that working. I would like to put an oil pressure gauge on it and get ride of that light but I,m not sure that can be done. SEE YA:D

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.