SailNet Community - View Single Post - 13-year-old Laura Dekker around the world
View Single Post
Old 11-01-2009
cruising all I can

joethecobbler is on a distinguished road
I have yet to hear anything about Zac's younger sisters plans to circumnavigate eclipsing big brothers record.
Somewhere along the way, I mentioned to my 5 year old Daughter that she had but 4 or 5 years at the most to learn to singlehand and navigate solo around the world. She scowled at me in ponderance and replied with first a question and then a statement, she said ; "is Mommy going ?" which is her first concern no-matter what I suggest. to which I responded- No , solo means going alone.
To which she replied- "Daddy, YOU don't get to decide what I want to be when I grow up, I get to decide that."
So, I told her maybe we'll just all have to go together. She said that might be OK as long as Mommy goes too.
Darn, I was ready to start looking for corporate sponsors and everything ! I thought maybe the makers of Barby and toys r us would jump aboard. Oh well !
I guess I'm sentenced to singlehanding with a (sometimes reluctant)family/galley cook and occasional helmsman assistent.
Apparently not everyone has the drive/interest and unrelenting curiosity to see the world from the deck of a small sailing craft.
But speaking for those of us who do (if I may be so bold) Please, don't put any more obsticles in our way than what already exist.
It's bad enough that I was born 2-300 years after my time !
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook