SailNet Community - View Single Post - Sailing Qualities - 31,34,37
View Single Post
Old 11-01-2009

MC1 is on a distinguished road
. . . . I suppose it's a noble thought Jeff, providing an unbiased counter-point - infusing logic into a decision otherwise blinded by passion. But those PSC lines ... the form they circumscribe, ghosting through water without even the hint of a wake left behind, they have robbed us all of our senses. The vision of a designer no less than legend, the legacy of a family of vessels that has looked after its owners in the most trying of times, year upon year, their hard won reputation having stood up to some of the worst the sea could conjure. You ask the original poster to be reasonable and betray his heart in consideration of some mere coastal cruiser, and but for convienence sake? I say we cannot support this, I say we dare not! You are asking one in love to follow his head instead of his heart? What would be the point in living such a life, bereft of meaning, a life without purpose and without joy?
(. . . ok, maybe just keeding).

On a serious note, thank you for the greater perspective Jeff, always a good thing to look at the larger picture. Although based on my limited experiences with various other sailing boats, my PSC 34 seems to slide smoothly right through occassionally intense Lake Ontario coastal chop as long as I am not going too slowly (i.e., a little heel makes a big difference). On rare occassions I'll need to vary my heading by 5-10 degrees or pick up the pace a little (but not too much of course). I'll defer to your greater experience on this point in general, but as a whole, this boat gives me a fair measure of confidence. Of course you're right, the boat is an offshore cruiser. By design it is initially tender with its seakindly wineglass shaped hull. Regardless of whether I will ever take it for extended voyages offshore (although I hope I will one day), it's really nice to have the option - to support the dream - to know I can improve her and upgrade her over time working toward the dream. I'd say she is in fact a "forever" boat.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook