SailNet Community - View Single Post - Bombay Clipper 31
View Single Post
Old 11-01-2009
Freedom 39

FarCry is on a distinguished road
I assume you are having a very good surveyor go over everything before you consider purchase. It might be wise that you mention to your surveyor that you intend on taking off for a 500 mile ocean trip very shortly after purchase. I trust you'll make time to do some "shakedown" trips before heading out the big trip. A daytrip is a much better time to discover a serious issue than when 60 miles offshore.

My biggest suggestion for what you and your son should take with you is...a sailor experienced in ocean crossings. More than gadgets I can think of nothing better than finding someone willing to go along and help with watches who has "been there and done that".

I see you mention that you will have a navigation system along. I strongly suggest having no less than three ways to navigate. A spare hand held GPS could be priceless if things really go bad. I would also want something like a liferaft. A decent dinghy on deck would be better than nothing. An EPIRB or at least a SPOT. A spare handheld VHF. I can go on and on. May I suggest you start a new thread here and ask the whole forum what they would take on a 500 mile nonstop trip on a boat that they have owned for a few days.

Let me know how things go, I am intriguied.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralphsr View Post
Hi
Thanks for the reply. We (my son and I) enjoyed the insight. The boat we are going to look at Monday morning is a shoal keel with 3' 6" draft.
So ours will not be the same in all respects as yours, but the information proved useful. I imagine in rough seas it will have the same solid feel as yours which will be new to us. We have been sailing a 23' Aquarius with a retractable keel, a very light boat in comparison to this heavyweight. This was our 1st experiance with sailing. Our top speed was 7.3 knots and we were able to sail in light winds. We own a 27' O'Day now and will probably sell it. We only had it for a brief while and decided we did not want to invest much time and money into it because of the condition she is in.
I know we are going to enjoy the roominess of the BC31 as we enjoy taking company on sailing day trips.
If we purchase it and I think we are we will sail her home from Southold New York to our home in the Chesapeake Bay this Friday coming. This will be quite an adventure for us as we have never been on the Ocean before. All our experience is in rivers and the bay. We will be sailing 24 hours a day in shifts the whole time we are in the Ocean. We will go up the Deleware bay to the D&C canal and down the Chesepeake to the Potomac river and into the Wicomoco River and home.
Any suggestions you might have on things that we should absolutely have with us would be appreciated. We have a navigation system and the furthest point from land we will be is 65 miles. The total trip will be about 500 miles straight line.
I am not able to post a picture of our BC31 but will do it soon.

Sincerely

Ralph Sr.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook