SailNet Community - View Single Post - Sailing Qualities - 31,34,37
View Single Post
Old 11-02-2009

MikeinLA is on a distinguished road
I thought I'd pop back in for a minute to first thank you for the great responses so far and also just to let you know that I AM keeping up with this thread, so please feel free to keep chiming in. To Richard particularly, that is a very generous offer and I may take you up on it at some point. To perhaps clarify my position a bit, I bought my first boat, a Catalina 30, 25 years ago. After a year or so, I decided to move up to a 36 so I would have more room to live aboard which I did for a few years. By 1992 I was married with a son and my then wife compelled me to sell the boat. By 1995 we were divorced and between that, the earthquake and the bad real estate market (my business), it took until 1999 until I could buy another boat. I had been missing my boat for 7 years and all I could think of was "going home" to another 36. I found an immaculate 1991 which looked just like my old boat to the degree that I named her Deja Vu. That was 10 years ago and she is still immaculate. I mostly daysail with friends and also take her out by myself if it's a weekend and nobody can go sailing. I've made some trips to Catalina, but few because I was a single Dad and had to be around for my son (who got violently motion sick and wouldn't go sailing after a few tries). So, now my boy is off to college at Ohio State and I have a lot more boat time. My boat is 19 years old and I'm 57. I'm sure that we could stay together for the next 20 years or whatever, but I'm still drawn to "the ones that got away". Like I said, before I bought my first 36, I tried to get a PSC 34, but didn't qualify. I also loved the Dana. At boat shows, I would perch up in the V-berth for hours as I greeted the visitors and told them all about the boat. I knew every inch of her. It got to the point that the salesmen would just leave me there and all to go lunch or dinner together. Not sure how many Danas I sold, but I sure loved that boat. I don't think I want to liveaboard at a marina again. I've grown accustomed to my 70" TV and my house is paid for so it doesn't cost me anything. However, lately I've been asking myself some "what if" questions. What if I took a cruise down to Mexico? What if I bought a boat in Annapolis and took her down the intercoastal and on to the Bahamas and Caribbean just to island hop. Women come and go, so I don't have a mate to plan any of this with, I would go alone along with any friends or pick-up crew I could find. I'm truthfully not sure that I'll ever do any of it, but I'm starting to yearn for a boat that COULD do it and although I know that my current boat could (the PO of my current boat took her to Mexico) I'm drawn to traditional boats. I like bulwarks, mast pulpits, boom gallows and ratlines. I've had brief mental affairs with the Hans Christian 33, Mariner 36 ketch, Tayana 37 and even a Spindrift 43 pilothouse. But, as I've gotten older I've also gotten wiser and much less concerned with impressing anyone. I've read enough to know that, at least when short-handed, small is good. The PSC 31 reminds me of the Dana, but with a "garage" in the form of the aft berth as well as the chart table. In port, I am mildly claustrophobic in V-berths. The 31 strikes me as a giant open V-berth at night and a giant open main salon by day. It seems just perfect for me. And since she would either remain a day sailor or become a cruising boat, I don't see the need for all the clothing storage, etc that you need when living in a marina. Some other changes have gone on that also lead me toward the viability of a smaller boat. My whole CD collection now fits in a cigarette pack, movies and TV play on a laptop and instrumentation has become smaller (remember those old CRT radars at the chart table)? So I've been staring at the picture of the 31's salon saying "this would go here and this would go there" and it seems pretty workable so far, and it's the only boat I've found with a workable stripper pole. LOL. Anyway, this is my story. I thought that after so many thoughtful and considerate responses, I owed you "the REST of the story". I've also learned something else I didn't know, PSC owners are good people.

Thanks, Mike

Last edited by MikeinLA; 11-02-2009 at 03:01 AM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook