SailNet Community banner
  • SailNet is a forum community dedicated to Sailing enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about sailing, modifications, classifieds, troubleshooting, repairs, reviews, maintenance, and more!

Looking for a cheap safe spot in South fl. area to leave boat on the hard

3K views 12 replies 11 participants last post by  wookie 
#1 ·
Hi everibody! we are a couple of Med sailors and are planning to buy a small blue water boat in Miami area around mid december, than cruise the Bahamas and leave the boat (from march to dec 2010) on the hard to some hurricane-safe place, secure but not fancy.

We would be grateful to have info from fellow cruisers and sailors about any friendly (price wise) marinas/yards in the area and current prices of those marinas or links to their websites, if any....

...this is the time of the year we usually become envious of US and Canada sailors...:) you just have to move South...

Lots of thanks in advance for any help on this, and ready to exchange the same for Med areas we know.

Cheers

Marc

#3 · (Edited)
Hi everibody! we are a couple of Med sailors and are planning to buy a small blue water boat in Miami area around mid december, than cruise the Bahamas and leave the boat (from march to dec 2010) on the hard to some hurricane-safe place, secure but not fancy.

Marc
There are half dozen marinas, located deep inland on Okeechobee waterway.
While transiting the area last year I noticed reasonable storage prices there and it looks like the area is well protected from hurricanes...

quick googling found this article
BoatUS Cruising Logs

However, Florida is expensive and marinas are filled, if you go either north to North Carolina or west to Texas, you'll find more and more reasonable prices and more spaces to park a boat. Cruising USA waters is fun too :)

#5 ·
I'll check that area and the web site, thanks

I'm quite sure it's a lot of fun, but really, we want to escape from the winter, and nc sounds a bit chilly to us...may be Texas a little warmer? ...thing is, last year we were at Bahamas on a friend's boat, and it was mainly sweater weather....of course it was great, but we wouldn't go cooler than that....:)

#6 ·
#10 ·
what do you call cheap?
check out the glades boat Storage yard, just google it.
it's like $100-200 a month to store on the hard 40-50" unless it's gone up the last 2-3 years .
the 49' rail bridge is on the east side of the lake just after clearing the lock.
Indian town is further east. Sp, if your coming from the atlantic your height is not an issue.

#12 ·
I don't think Milos knows at this point...says the plan is to buy a small 'blue water' boat, hit the islands and then put it on the hard for sometime in Florida.??

I'd agree with QTA in that Indiantown would be a good choice. Easier access from the east coast (Okeechobee can get pretty shallow during dry seasons) and offers pretty good protection (as good as it gets in Florida) and is a full service marina and DIY facility. A small boat should have no trouble with bridges. -no afflilation...just a LOT of folks use 'em for an 'on the hard' hurricane hole...acres of boats!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.