SailNet Community - View Single Post - Nantucket Island 33?
View Single Post
Old 11-03-2009
Super Fuzzy Moderator

tdw is a jewel in the rough tdw is a jewel in the rough tdw is a jewel in the rough
I'm ready to stand corrected on this but I believe that most of the N33s in Oz were built by East Coast yachts up near Newcastle. That would explain the difference in interior fitout. Maybe later on they were imported from China cos I have seen differing levels of interior fitout. I'm thinking that the first of them were built for bare boat charter.

They are an amazing boat down below for a 33'er and they do sail remarkably well. Peter Cole was a damn fine designer. He was responsible for Gretel II which was the first challenger to take a race of the America's Cup post WWII and has designed a number of other highly regarded boats , both racing and cruising in Australia.

Personally I find the N33 to be a bit top heavy but that, and the lack of deck stowage is , as has been pointed out, the price you pay for all that space below decks.

Again from my experience they sail surprisingly well, though not at their best hard on the wind (surprise surprise). That said they are not as bad as some when it comes to windward work. Can be a bit wayward at anchor in a breeze.

“Give a man a fire and he's warm for a day, but set fire to him and he's warm for the rest of his life.” Terry Pratchett
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook