SailNet Community - View Single Post - island packet 35
View Single Post
Old 01-27-2006

bubb2 has a spectacular aura about bubb2 has a spectacular aura about bubb2 has a spectacular aura about
island packet 35

Jeff,

I have enjoyed reading your posts and respect your insight and vast knowage, but i feel you are being a little harsh with regards to IP35.

Last March, I was employed by a new onwer of an IP35 to deliver the boat. In 15 to 20 knots of wind I took her down Long Island Sound under full sail(genoa, stay and main). She heeled over less than 10 degrees and dug in. She, started clicking off 7+ knots. We both had smiles and she was in her element and i was in mine. Her motion was that of a train running on a rail, stright as an arrow with no roll to speak of and that was with an 2 to 3 foot chop on the beam.

All the control lines come back to the cockpit. This boat had roller furling on the genoa and stay sail and conventional reefing on the main. I found the boat easy to handle and could be single handed by any compendent sailor. Yes, it would not be my first pick to race around the bouys. However, It would be on my short list for an good all around cruising in the 35 foot range. Just my 2 cents.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook