Thread: phrf-lo rating
View Single Post
Old 11-04-2009
Badger Sailor

MSN2Travelers is on a distinguished road
Lightbulb Just a handicap rating ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuickMick View Post
While I understand the notion that these ratings are used to handicap, im not quite sure what the rating means my boat is classified as. i have a phrf-lo rating of 180. does that make me a crusier? or, as per usual, just a numbskull?

thanks
Quinn
Quinn,

Don't overthink your PHRF rating. The rating doesn't result in some sort of classification such as "cruiser". It is just used to determine handicap when you enter a race where the other boats are of different designs (as opposed to a one-design race with all Tartan 10's).

I crew on a Pearson Flyer and our rating is 135. In any race invloving our two boats, we would be expected to finish ahead of you but we would have to beat your time by 45 seconds for every mile in race course length. Our typical course is 3.4 miles around the marks. We would have to cross the finish line more than 2 minutes and 33 seconds ahead of you to beat you in a race.

Our club will have around 65 boats racing on any given Wednesday night . These are divided first into Spinakker and Jib & Main (JAM) classes. Spinakker flyers are further grouped into three division while JAM boats are split into two divisions.

PHRF ratings range between a low of 24 a high of 234 within the spinakker boats, 120 to 234 within the JAM boats. A Catalina 30 in the JAM fleet has a PHRF rating of 207 assigned.
`99 Beneteau Oceanis 352, #282 WiTCHCRAFT
Milwaukee, WI
Sailing Lake Michigan and the Great Lakes
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook