SailNet Community - View Single Post - Lost at Sea
Thread: Lost at Sea
View Single Post
Old 11-04-2009
Too Many T-Shirts

capngil is on a distinguished road
Found at Sea

Hello all, I wanted to share some further details on the subject. First and foremost, the Vagabond now rates higher in my books as good off shore sailing vessel. The reason I say this is because we have just recieved information from the US Coast Gaurd that the E-pirb on GRINGO activated and was located at 33-12.8N & 055-22.4W at approx 1900z on the 1st of November 09. In communicating with George he stated that "the E-pirb was placed in a duffel bag and left on the cabin floor when he was about to abandon ship" he left it there because the rescue team did not allow him to take anything but critical documents and paperwork. It's in Georges opinion that the boat is still taking on water and the water has reached the floor boards where he left the duffel bag with the E-pirb and it self activated.

As for my primary purpose and question; does anyone know of the cost and feasibility in rescuing a vessel some 525 miles ENE of Bermuda. It would be great to offer some real information as to the possibilty of recovering Georges boat. I understand that this is far reaching to say the least but I have to ask.

As for logistics, well water evacuation (gas pump) and a tow would be the quickest answer but with the weather off shore in these waters I don't think it's possible. If anyone has any input please share it. I will update later with detailed information as it's made available. Until then lets learn from our mistakes.

Gil

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook