SailNet Community - View Single Post - West Wight Potter - 19
View Single Post
Old 11-04-2009

jephotog is on a distinguished road
Hey Archer,
I have a WWP15, that I just got recently. I regularly hang out here for big boat know how and advice, and the plethora of knowledge and stories. I also aspire to bigger down the road. If you want to talk to the experts about Potters go here.

West Wight Potter Forum - Message Index

However if you want unbiased opinions about the Potter that is not the place to go. We bought out Potter as our first big investment together ($1000) a few months back just before getting married. Our first sail together had winds gusting into the 20s and my wife was hooked, she is learning to sail also. My opinions of my potter which may apply to the 19 as well, I think.

Pros:
  1. Light easy to tow with average vehicle
  2. Easy to launch 25 minutes.
  3. Docile fun to sail
  4. Great group of owners, like a club that gets together for cruises
  5. Can beach it while camping or daysailing
  6. Parts still available and relatively cheap.
  7. Can park in the driveway or garage even
Cons
  1. Light, no ballast must use body weight like a dingy
  2. Slow
  3. Does not point well.
  4. Cramped below (at least in my 15)
So doing the math the pros outweight the cons almost 2:1 and since every boat is a compromise..... As long as you are getting a good deal on the boat you can sail it for as long as you like then upgrade later. The true cost of owning a trailer sailor is minimal beyond initial purchase and upgrades. Even when we get something bigger we would keep the Potter to have to drag behind a car and drop into any lake when we go places. I say go for it.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook