SailNet Community - View Single Post - Anyone recommend a good sailing site?
View Single Post
Old 11-06-2009
One foot on the ground.

lahso is on a distinguished road
Anyone recommend a good sailing site?

Hopefully someone can point me in the right direction. I spent the last week reading every post on SailNet from 2002 forward, including watching all of Giu's videos, the WHOLE BFS thread, and trying to decide which Cat, the 22 or the 25, I can take around the pond once or twice...

I've been on boats all my life (or behind them on a wakeboard), but I'm new to sailing... besides a few times at the helm of my dad's Hunter 35 on Lake Texoma. I live in SoCal and bike past Marina Del Rey every day on the way to work, so I finally stopped by a school, MarinaSailing.com, and signed up for lessons. I'm waiting on a few friends to flake out before I start (giving them till tomorrow to pony up).

Not sure what I'm looking for yet... the experience and learning to start... Knowing myself as a thrill-seeker (but no adrenaline-junky) I imagine I'll be trying to figure out the deeper physics... I'm a pilot already, so I know a lot about fluid dynamics, and I'm a rock-climber so I can tie some pretty gnarly knots... now I just gotta learn to do it on the water.

Obviously the first paragraph is not true (MDB you call it, right?) as no one could actually read the BFS thread.

My only concern...

I get sea-sick like you wouldn't imagine. I figure there's only one way to get over it...

Anyway, just wanted to say hi to the community and the mods... Thanks in advance for your patience when I'm 'thick'... I'm sure I'll have some questions.

Best,
~mt

--
----
"Those moments of obtainment are few and far between so I must find peace in the search itself" ~Chris Sharma
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook