SailNet Community - View Single Post - Single-handed cruising
View Single Post
Old 11-06-2009

sailorgirl60 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tanny View Post
Hello all,
I'm new to these discussions and posted similar questions on the "Introduce yourself" forum, but thought I'd come to the horses mouth!
I haven't bought my boat yet - she's out there somewhere, and she's beautiful!
I want to single hand a 34-40 foot live aboard boat in the Caribbean - on the hook rather than in a slip.
I'm looking at the Tayana 37 - a nice solid cutter with ample tankage. But I wonder about tacking and gybing a cutter alone. Can you equip a cutter with self-tending foresails?
Also, I wonder about furlings. Are they prone to jam?
I found a beautiful Tayana ketch for sale with furling sails on the main and foresails. Would such a boat combine all the best single-handed rigging?
Any advice?
Thanks!
Hey Tanny!

We shopped for 2 years before we made our choice. Our final choice was between a Tayana 37 and a Crealock 37. Single handed sailing was one of our serious condsiderations. We did choose the Crealock because it is a yawl and cutter rigged. Both foresails are on furlers, we love them. Consider what sails you're getting with the boat. We have a Yankee cut head sail. It's cut high enough to clear the stay sail easily. When tacking, we bring the Yankee across and then bring the sta'sil over. No issues, it's awesome. The mizzen self tends and the main is pretty ordinary.

The Tayana is a beautiful boat with more storage than ANY other boat we looked at. Nothing compares to her headroom!!! I'm 5'1' and could NOT wrap my fingers around the interior overhead grab rails. That's what made the boat a poor choice for me personally. Good luck!!

ps Living aboard is challenging enough- consider finding a slip!

SG
s/v Gypsy Palace

see pics under Off Topic - Fight Club thread
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook