SailNet Community - View Single Post - Installing automatic bilge pump in series with diaphram bilge pump...
View Single Post
Old 11-07-2009
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
First, a good manual bilge pump would work better, and let you pump longer and faster than a bucket would... and second, using the engine to empty the bilge is IMHO a relatively stupid idea, as most sailboat diesels pump relatively little water and running the risk of compromising the engine when its power may be needed most is not very smart. Most bilges have a fair amount of debris and such that are likely to clog the engine cooling passages.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabreman View Post
To be honest, if I'm ever in a situation where I need both pumps to keep the boat afloat, I'm breaking out the bucket and switching the engine intake to bilge intake!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook