SailNet Community - View Single Post - Tax on boats brought to Florida
View Single Post
Old 02-03-2006

WHOOSH is on a distinguished road
Tax on boats brought to Florida

Faith, these kinds of Q''s surface regularly on BB''s like this one...but surely we''re not the best source of info for you. You don''t state it outright but I gather you plan to buy and use the Freedom up in RI for a substantial period, then plan to relocate it to Florida for at least substantial periods of time, and you''re wondering what your tax liability will be down here in Florida.

Your first stop for such Q''s should be the county tax assessor where you plan to keep the boat. These offices are *very* familiar with the circumstances you describe, they can give you the official answers (after all, they administer those tax collections), and their answers can be documented by follow-up letter, brochure and/or website info, so you can be assured that what you are told by a single person is in fact valid.

If you haven''t had success when talking with a county tax assessor''s office in FL, consider calling the Pinellas County Tax Assessor (responsible for the St. Pete/Clearwater area) - you''ll find an easy start at http://www.taxcollect.com/Content.aspx?DeptID=12&CommandID=0&Lang=en I''ve found this office to repeatedly be helpful & professional. You don''t have to offer a name; just get to the right person and fire away!

FWIW I think you''ll find that use tax liability will exist for your vessel. But see what the experts say.

Jack
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook