SailNet Community - View Single Post - Flying a spinnaker single-handed
View Single Post
Old 11-08-2009

wind_magic has a spectacular aura about wind_magic has a spectacular aura about wind_magic has a spectacular aura about
Jeff_H, I know this post is like a million years old, but I have a question.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff_H View Post
To ease flying the chute single-hand I have marked the sheets for the proper setting for the jib. I head a few degrees above dead down wind and set the sheet and guy to their marks. I then jibe the pole, walk back to the cockpit and jibe the mainsail and then head up to the new course. This is actually easier than tacking an assymetrical because assymetricals require you to haul in so much more line and the timing is so critical.
Could you explain the above a little more, I am having trouble imagining what you are saying.

Quote:
To douse the chute I head just above dead down wind and either on an assymetrical I release the shackle on the tack line or on a symetrical chute I release the shackle on guy. The sail then ''flags'' with no load on it. I then grab the sheet and pull the chute close into the lee of the mainsail. I gather the foot and only then release the halyard. I then haul the chute down like a rope, hand over hand, stuffing it down the companionway. I can usually do this within reach of the helm.
So above, when you say "I release the shackle on guy." are you saying that you release the shackle on the side that is not connected to the spin pole ? I am just asking you to define the term because my sailing lingo isn't what it ought to be. Also, does the sail go into the water when you do this ? It seems like you would want to release the side this is upwind so that it clears the forestay before it flags ? Or maybe that is more likely to cause a wrap ?

I'm curious what your advice is for fixing wraps when single handing. I have never had to deal with this before, I haven't even been on a boat that has flown a spinnaker before, but what I imagine is that the sail falls in and wraps around the forestay and then doesn't want to unwrap. How do you get it down when that happens ? Maybe throw a line up that has a weight on it between the halyard and the forestay and then use that line to pull the wrap clear ? I'm very curious how this is done!

Please support my
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook