SailNet Community - View Single Post - Negotiating prices with brokers
View Single Post
Old 11-09-2009

scottyt is on a distinguished road
from what i have heard and read. in the summer prices are high up north and during hurricane season they are low down south.

i dont think there is a business model that brokers work on. they want to make money and as much as they can. they will list a boat higher than they have seen or sold one before. ( all based on good condition ) that way they can drop the price and still make what they want. then there are brokers who dont want to hold the boat at all and the faster they sell it the better ( these are ones that take trade ins )

it works just like cars, a really clean and popular boat they will ask higher. i watched a boat sit on craigslist that was posted by a broker. it was a 27 hunter like mine, it started at 11 k and sold for 5500. he was dropping the price for the first few months by 50 per week, at the end it was 1 to 200 per week.

go low ball him for 50 % of asking, if he says no hand him your number and walk away, a week later you might get a call. if he counters he will counter with about about twice the difference from your offer he is willing to take. ie asking is 10 k you offer 5 he says no he cant do lower than 8 i would bet he would take 6500

as for making a profit, he makes a profit no matter what, the seller is the one who might loose out if they have a loan. the broker makes 10 % no matter what to him making 1000 real fast is better than making 1100 over 3 months of listing. its the ones who want to let the boat sit in a slip that he is not paying for for 6 months for the extra 300 bucks are the ones you want to avoid

Last edited by scottyt; 11-09-2009 at 02:00 AM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook