SailNet Community - View Single Post - A Furler?
Thread: A Furler?
View Single Post
Old 11-10-2009

CaptKermie is on a distinguished road
I once had a similar dilema, should I get a roller furler. I sailed with hank-ons for 5 years before I got a furler and when I did I had both headsails converted to #6 luff for the furler since they still had plenty of years use left in them. Would I do it again with today's hindsight? Nope! Yes, I suppose it is pretty cool to have a furler, certainly is convenient. If I had a bigger boat it would be more convenient, but I am still questioning for my 26' boat wether or not it is a neccessity or just a nice to have. They cost a few boat bucks for a good one and you will likely install it yourself (it is a pain) to save money but I don't think it will be a deal breaker upon selling the boat nor will it add value, it is just a convenience single handers like to have. If you fully intend to sell the boat I would forgo the furler and save the money for your next boat. I got a furler because I knew I would be keeping my boat for years to come so it was mainly just for me. Even though everyone told me a furler was the way to go and I believed them, after all was said and done and I had a years use of it I still think I could have spent the money on something better than a furler.
I also am not a big fan if CDI, I bought a Schaefer Snapfurl CF700, nice unit, but pricey.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook