SailNet Community - View Single Post - Acrylic or Polycarbonate for windows
View Single Post
Old 11-11-2009
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
While this is true... the ocean rarely causes impacts of this variety. I'd also point out that UV is a greater danger and that NO hatch manufacturer uses LEXAN in their hatches. All of them use either tempered glass or acrylic. The real problem is that any strong impact that is less than capable of shattering an acrylic port will generally cause a lexan port to flex and foreshorten enough to break the seal. Ports leaking is generally a much more common problem on a boat than them breaking.

Quote:
Originally Posted by IslandRaider View Post
My 2 cents worth, as was demonstrated to me by a friend and former boat yard owner, regular plexiglass will shatter when impacted an lexan will not, and most glass companies will cut lexan to order.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook