SailNet Community banner
  • SailNet is a forum community dedicated to Sailing enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about sailing, modifications, classifieds, troubleshooting, repairs, reviews, maintenance, and more!

More holes in my boat?

2K views 10 replies 9 participants last post by  zz4gta 
#1 ·
Weeell.... the transom has a ton of unused space on either side of the rudder post, and it's easily 18" from the cockpit stern to the transom inside. I think (there for I will?) 2 hatches with hinged doors with or as propane lockers or, just storage for all kinds of "stuff". I also want to install another coaming box, a port for the "coffin bunk" and some round access hatches in the cabin sole (to access the dead or rotting whatevers down there) and to store more "stuff" This is the one thing about older boats.. not enough access to the deep dark areas. Will I do all this? Don't know!

Last year, after agonizing over installing speakers in the cockpit finally we did that! Did you know the whole aft section of the boat works like a sub woofer now? :D

#3 ·
Yes, I'm aware of that requirement. On the other hand Brian.... a boat with a propane tank strapped to the stern rail has a certain kind of charm....

#5 ·
Denise,
A couple of things to think about. There is a very good chance that the area on either side of the rudder post is structural. In other words it may very well be carrying the rudder post loads, which can be substantial. So cutting big holes could potentially cause some big problems.

Do you have a horseshoe bouy on the stern rail? On my old Hunter 27 I found that a 10 lb aluminum propane tank strapped to a vertical stanchion, fit really well under the horseshoe bouy with a few modifications to the brackets. This effectively hid the cylinder and protected the regulator from damage too.

Gary H. Lucas

#6 ·
If you're going to go with an externally mounted tank, I would HIGHLY recommend you look at the composite LPG tanks...

#7 ·
Me carry a tank on the stern rail??? I'm mortified that you gentlemen would suggest such a thing! (ok, well I only put it there when on the hook, if truth be told) LOL
Gary I am quite sure the rudder post structure is separate from the cockpit but I will be very sure of things before I start the hole cutting rampage.

#10 ·
Denise
I too was tempted by the seemingly endless wasted space back there. Then I considered what all that stuff might weigh, perched in a place that was obviously not designed to have weight located there, the complication it would add to servicing the water heater and a bunch of other stuff, and I pretty much talked myself out of the idea.
Just a thought.

On the other hand we do have 2 nice self draining "drink coolers" underneath the stern seat. As they are not insulated, we store our 1lb propane cans in there. I have often wished they were a little deeper but again when looking at the bottom side, it would make accessing anything on the transom impossible.

#11 ·
Why put weight at the extreme rear of the boat when the designers put a lot of time in keeping the weight out of the ends of a boat? I'm not saying a tank would be significant, but a tank with 'stuff' and more 'stuff' can add up to a full size refrigerator worth of weight in the worst possible place besides the mast head.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.