SailNet Community - View Single Post - Bottom Paint for Trailer Sailor?
View Single Post
Old 11-12-2009

CaptKermie is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by bulboushead View Post
Hi everyone,

I want to paint it myself (i've read up on jacking it up on the trailer safely, etc.). My question is, whats the cheapest way to protect the hull of the boat so I can use it for years to come?
Should I use a coat of antifouling? Or would a barrier coat be better? I've been scanning the interlux products, I just can't decide whats best for this application.

I appreciate all opinions and thoughts, thanks!
If you want to use it for years to come there is no cheap way to do it, only the right way to do it.
I trailer sailed for years and always left the boat in the water for the summer so that I would use it more. I can tell you from personal experience that cleaning the bottom off every 4-6 weeks is a big ugly dirty job. I finally bit the dust and did the full epoxy barrier and antifouling last spring, took me a couple weeks but it is done now and I am relieved. I leave it in the slip now and bring it home only for maintenance and mods.
I used ablative antifouling so that I can leave it on the hard in my driveway for a month or two while I work on it. I also applied the full epoxy barrier coat system so that I could leave it in the water for extended periods. If you plan to keep the boat and get years of use from it, invest the time, money and work and do a good job that you can be proud of. Also if you are keeping the boat for years to come invest some $$ and elbow grease and really fix it up so that you are a proud owner. In return it will give you years of enjoyment.
The bottom paint is imperative if you wish to keep it in the water for a summer, it only takes a few weeks for growth to cover it, and hours of sweat to get it off.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook