SailNet Community - View Single Post - Jack Line - Home Made?
View Single Post
Old 11-13-2009

pdqaltair is on a distinguished road
Sounds good to me...

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMC View Post
Wonder if I'm missing something. Rather than paying over one hundred fifty dollars for webbing jack lines, can't I just buy 1 ", type 18 webbing and and make my own? If so and my intent is to run one up both sides and clip lines to base of cleat and then run back to tie off/adjust on stern cleats, what type of clip/biner suggested for one end of each line. I don't want them sewn together at bow point. .58 cents a foot on the webbing looks pretty good.
Are you a climber; it sounds like you might be. If you are talking about tubular climbing webbing, sure it's strong enough. I actually use 5/8" dock line, but I have a cat and they are not rigged where they are underfoot. But the nice thing about dock line is that I can leave them set for years; always available at night, when on deck alone, and in storms.

The comments on UV are correct. Climbers see anchor slings in the mountains all the time that are destroyed by the sun.

I have a long posting on my blog about jacklines and such. Perhaps it will give you ideas. Sail Delmarva: Search results for climber

Background: I am an engineer and a rock climber /mountaineer with 25 years experience in all sorts of places.

"Well, I just climb up to them."

by Joe Brown, English rock climber

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook