SailNet Community - View Single Post - Member reviews: Raymarine's X series Autopilots
View Single Post
Old 11-14-2009

tackdriver is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by artbyjody View Post
since I am looking into 38 footers (and placed an offer on one), I am considering going all Raymarine since all the hardware I purchased for the C-27 will be going onboard. .... I am wondering if anyone has installed and used the X-5 Wheel Autopilot as of yet?
This is an old post, but I can't find many people (suckers) like me who installed the crap that is the x-5.

I need to expand a little on that. The software is great. Everything they say about the system not needing a rudder sensor is true. The board has an accelerometer chip on it which it uses to sense the reaction to the application of steering. It really works well. The good news ends there.

The wheel steering unit is rubbish. The motor housings break more often than not, and the gearbox will not handle your 38 footer, as it doesn't handle mine. I've been through two of them so far. This unit would be OK for a power boat or a small yacht, but the weather helm and swell-steering that you get on a bigger boat breaks the steering system.

Don't bother with the angst of a broken autopilot. Don't bother with the x-5.
cheers
JMB
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook